Houston Pet Owner Resources
Helpful Links for Our Clients
Animal Medical Center of the Village provides these pet resources for information only. We are not affiliated with nor do we specifically recommend these organizations or websites. Always call us with questions.
Pet Adoption & Welfare
- BARC Animal Shelter & Adoptions – Houston’s one and only animal shelter that accepts every single animal that comes through its doors.
- Citizens for Animal Protection – Promotes respect and compassion for animals while also providing adoption services, shelter, foster care and more.
- Houston Area Dog Rescue – Use this resource for adopting a specific dog breed in the Houston, TX area.
- Houston Humane Society – Adopt a pet, donate, volunteer, report animal cruelty, or request an appointment at their Wellness & Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic.
- Houston SPCA – Offers volunteering opportunities, wildlife rehabilitation programs, adoptions, community outreach programs and more.
Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation
- Lone Star Wildlife Rescue – Treats native and non-native wildlife in and around the Houston, TX area in order to return them safely to the wild.
- The Wildlife Center of Texas – Provides rehabilitation, education, volunteering opportunities and wildlife assistance.
- Tri-State Bird Rescue: Baby Bird FAQ – Answers common questions about what to do if you find a baby bird in or around your home.
- TWRC Wildlife Center – A non-profit wildlife rehabilitation center that promotes environmental conservation and educates the public.
Pet Health, Behavior & Info Sites
- Animal Poison Control Center – For any animal poison-related emergency or if worried your pet ate something toxic.
- Pet Health Network – Find a breadth of health answers about your pet.
- HomeAgain & AKC Reunite Microchips & PetLink – Register & update your pet’s microchip information.
- Pet Health Insurance Buyer's Guide - ASPCA's pet insurance buying guide.
- APHIS Pet Travel – USDA's information on domestic and international pet travel.
- Pets & Parasites – Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of pet parasite infections.
- Heartworm Society – Learn more about deadly heartworms and what you can do to protect your pet.
- CDC Rabies Information - Everything you need to know about the rabies virus.
- CDC Zoonotic Diseases - Learn about the risks of diseases people get from animals.
- Rainbow Bridge – A grief support community for those who are hurting from the death of a beloved pet.
- American Kennel Club
- Dog Owner's Guide – A nice starter guide of things to consider when thinking about getting a puppy.
- International Cat Care - Resources, support and advice that help you better care for your cats.
- The ASPCA – Exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- Humane Society of the United States – Promotes the protection and adoption of all animals.
- Southern Veterinary Partners